There are a lot of things you can do, if you want to dine, or just simply walk around so here are the top 10 places you can go when you visit Melbourne.
1. Federation Square: Known as the heart of Melbourne, Federation Square is a bustling cultural and entertainment hub, featuring galleries, museums, and live performances. This is just across Flinders Train Station so you can get here easily and without hassle.
2. Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG): The MCG is Australia's largest stadium and a must-visit for sports fans. The venue hosts cricket matches, Australian Rules footy games, and live concerts.
3. Royal Botanic Gardens: Stretching over 38 hectares, the Royal Botanic Gardens offer a peaceful escape in the heart of the city. Visitors can explore beautiful landscapes, diverse plant collections, and tranquil walking paths. During winter, they organise a light show event called 'Lightscape' for people who want to witness lights in the garden at night.
4. St Kilda Beach: Located just a few kilometres from Melbourne's city centre, St Kilda Beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. The area also features lively cafes, restaurants, and Luna Park amusement park. It is very easy to get here, just a tram ride from city and voila! You're already in St Kilda.
5. National Gallery of Victoria: This renowned art museum houses an extensive collection of Australian and international art, including works by artists such as Sidney Nolan and Pablo Picasso. They have cafes, shops, and arts & crafts, paintings etc. I personally love their high tea inside the gallery.
6. Melbourne Museum: The Melbourne Museum offers a fascinating journey through the city's cultural and natural history. Visitors can explore exhibits on dinosaurs, indigenous peoples, and Australian culture. We also once experienced their iMax where you could watch a movie in 3D shown in giant screens.
7. Queen Victoria Market: Established in 1878, Queen Victoria Market is Melbourne's largest open-air market, selling a wide range of fresh produce, clothing, souvenirs, and more. It's a great place to experience the city's vibrant atmosphere. You can see a wide range of things they are selling, the prices start from $20aud. They also do night market where you will get to taste some of delectable cuisines from around the world.
8. Yarra River: The Yarra River flows through the heart of Melbourne, providing a picturesque setting for leisurely strolls, boat cruises, and riverside dining. The riverbanks also host festivals and events throughout the year. When you ride the train, simply get off at Flinders station, just walk a short distance from there until you approach Southbank area and there you will see the Yarra River.
9. Great Ocean Road: While not technically in Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road is an iconic road trip destination that starts just outside the city. This 243-kilometer route offers stunning coastal views, unique rock formations like the Twelve Apostles, and opportunities for surfing and wildlife spotting. The go-to destination for tourists or even locals. If you don't have your own transport, you can book a bus going to Great Ocean Road and enjoy your journey with other people.
10. Block Arcade: A historic shopping arcade in the heart of Melbourne, Block Arcade is famous for its stunning architecture, elegant boutiques, and delightful cafes. It's a great place to shop for high-end fashion, jewelry, and gourmet treats. If you love shopping then you must visit this place.
Hope these places are exactly what you are looking for your next trip in Melbourne.